MapReduce >> mail # user >> One mapper/reducer runs on a single JVM

Re: One mapper/reducer runs on a single JVM
Mappers and Reducers are separate JVM processes.
And yes you need to take in to account the amount of memory the machine(s) when you configure the number of slots.

If you are running just Hadoop, you could have a little swap. Running HBase, fuggit about it.