Hadoop >> mail # user >> Which release to use?

Re: Which release to use?
Joe,

The dev community is currently gearing up for hadoop-0.23 off trunk.

 0.23 is a massive step forward with with HDFS Federation, NextGen
MapReduce and possible others such as wire-compat and HA NameNode.

In a couple of weeks I plan to create the 0.23 branch off trunk and we
then spend all our energies stabilizing & pushing the release out.
Please see my note to general@ for more details.

Arun

On Jul 18, 2011, at 7:01 PM, Joe Stein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> So, last I checked this list was about Apache Hadoop not about derivative works.
>
> The Cloudera team has always been diligent (you rock) about redirecting non apache CDH releases to their list for answers.
>
> I commend those supporting apache releases of Hadoop too, very cool!!!
>
> But yeah, even I have to ask what the latest release will be.  Is there going to be a single Hadoop release or a continued branch that Horton maintains and will only support?
>
> There is something to be said for release from trunk that gets everyone on the same page towards our common goals.  You can pin the "state the obvious" paper on my back but kinda feel it had to be said.
>
> One love, Apache Hadoop!
>
> /*
> Joe Stein
> http://www.medialets.com
> Twitter: @allthingshadoop
> */
>
> On Jul 18, 2011, at 9:51 PM, Michael Segel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>>> Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 18:19:38 -0700
>>> Subject: Re: Which release to use?
>>> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>>
>>> Mike,
>>>
>>> Just a minor inaccuracy in your email. Here's setting the record straight:
>>>
>>> 1. MapR directly sells their distribution of Hadoop. Support is from  MapR.
>>> 2. EMC also sells the MapR distribution, for use on any hardware. Support is
>>> from EMC worldwide.