MapReduce >> mail # user >> Re: What should I do with a 48-node cluster

+
Mark Kerzner 2012-12-21, 02:07
+
Lance Norskog 2012-12-21, 19:37
Re: What should I do with a 48-node cluster
True!

I am thinking of either my (small) office, or actually hosting for under
$500/month.

On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 1:37 PM, Lance Norskog <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  You will also be raided by the DEA- too much power for a residence.
>

> On 12/20/2012 07:56 AM, Ted Dunning wrote:
>

> On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 7:38 AM, Michael Segel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:
>
>> While Ted ignores that the world is going to end before X-Mas, he does
>> hit the crux of the matter head on.
>>
>>  If you don't have a place to put it, the cost of setting it up would
>> kill you, not to mention that you can get newer hardware which is better
>> suited for less.
>>
>>  Having said that... if you live in the frozen tundra like Montana, or
>> some place like ... er Canada or Siberia... , it may make more sense to use
>> it to heat your home with it.
>> Just think of the side benefits from all that potential additional
>> compute power....  :-P
>>

>  I can say from experience that the sound of a bunch of servers in a home
> setting is a novel one that is probably unlike anything you have known
> before.
>
>  If you haven't experienced that, then taking on these servers could be
> classified as novelty seeking behavior.

+
Edward Capriolo 2012-12-21, 23:50
+