Hadoop, mail # general - why hadoop choose maven as its build tool?

+
smith jack 2012-05-16, 14:15
+
Roman Shaposhnik 2012-05-16, 14:31
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2012-05-17, 04:40
+
Steve Loughran 2012-05-17, 21:10
+
Keith Wiley 2012-05-17, 23:00
+
Jagane Sundar 2012-05-17, 21:23
+
Ted Dunning 2012-05-17, 22:15
Re: why hadoop choose maven as its build tool?
Konstantin Boudnik 2012-05-17, 23:10
+1 on that: let's not mix snapshot dependencies and release dependencies.
  Latter are 100% deterministic
  Former aren't by design.

Case is closed ;) You can apologize now, Sundar ;)
  Cos

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 06:15PM, Ted Dunning wrote:
> If you depend on released artifacts that you havent overridden then maven is deterministic.
>
> If you depend on snapshot artifacts then you get the latest snapshot which
> could change between builds.  But you asked for that.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On May 17, 2012, at 5:23 PM, Jagane Sundar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Hallelujah.
> >
> > I thought I was the only one who felt that maven's non-deterministic result was just plain batty.
> >
> > In this mavenized world, is it guaranteed that if I build twice using
> > maven on two different machines in two different locations, I will get the
> > same exact bits?
> >
> > If this guarantee exists, then I apologize for polluting the Internet with
> > this posting.
> > If this is not true, then this is not a build system - it is a right royal cr** shoot system masquerading as a build system.
> >
> > Jagane

+
Steve Loughran 2012-05-18, 00:48