Pig, mail # dev - Pig 11 release notes - draft

Pig 11 release notes - draft
Bill Graham 2013-02-07, 21:24
Hi,

In the Pig 11 release I'd like to include some specifics in the
RELEASE_NOTES.txt file. Julien compiled this list (which I've tweaked a
bit). Please give it a read and let me know if we've missed anything big,
or mis-stated anything. Maybe an absentee agenda item suggestion for those
at the meetup? :)

(I ran into some distractions this past week with cutting a release
candidate, but doing so is still high on my list. Stay tuned...)

- New RANK, CUBE and ROLLUP operators
- New DateType and Boolean data types
- Support for Groovy UDFs
- Support for loading macros from jars
- Support for custom PigReducerEstimators
- Suoport for custom PigProgressNotificatonListeners
- Support for schema-based Tuples for reduced memory footprint
- Support for passing environment variables to streaming jobs
- New cleanupOnSuccess method in StoreFunc interface
- UDF timing utilities
- UDF lifecycle improvements
- Performance improvements to merge join
- Performance improvements to local mode
- Performance improvements to algebraics in-memory aggregation
- Performance improvements to Spillable management
- Performance improvements to HBaseStorage
- Performance improvements to AvroStorage
- Penny has been removed
- 300+ bug fixes
*
*