Avro, mail # user - Adding extra fields into the schema

Adding extra fields into the schema
Harsh J 2010-07-17, 17:45
I'm wondering if there's a way to add user-defined name:value pairs
into the Avro JSON schema itself?

For instance, while building my schema (by using setFields for a
collection of fields), for some fields I do the following: [Using Java
API]

fieldObject.schema().addProp("myproperty", "myvalue");

I see that it adds to the schema like this:
{
    "name" : "someFieldXYZ",
    "type" : {
      "type" : "bytes",
      "myproperty" : "myvalue"
    },
    "default" : "XYZ"
}

But when I re-parse this created schema and try to retrieve my
property back, I get a null. I do this for getting it back:

fieldObject.schema.getProp("myproperty");

Why am I getting a null here? How do I access what's I embedded into
the schema properly back again? Or is this plain WRONG a thing to do?

[Type resolution still works fine even after it getting modified like that].

--
Harsh J
www.harshj.com