Accumulo, mail # dev - Request for mentor for project on ACCUMULO-1197

+
Ajay Bhat 2013-07-11, 00:41
+
Keith Turner 2013-07-11, 13:57
+
Ajay Bhat 2013-07-11, 15:47
Re: Request for mentor for project on ACCUMULO-1197
Keith Turner 2013-07-13, 00:52
On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 11:47 AM, Ajay Bhat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Thanks Keith. I am looking into it now.
>
> Accumulo has done Dapper design based tracing and called it Cloudtrace. I
> am not aware of the ins and outs of this and would like to know more
> indepth about it. Can anyone help out here?

Cloudtrace is an implementation of the ideas mentioned in the Dapper paper.
 Its only used by Accumulo at this point.   The reason I mentioned the
HBase work is so you could asses the status of that work.  You should
determine if any other work besides the HBase and Accumulo efforts exists.

I can think of a few ways to tackle this problem.

 1. Modify HDFS to use cloudtrace.  Cloudtrace is currently implemented on
top of thrift, HDFS does not use thrift.
 2. Modify HDFS and Accumulo to use HBase  tracing.
 3. Modify HDFS to support hooks for tracing.  Make cloudtrace use these
hooks.
 4. Create completely new tracing system

What are your thoughts on this project?  What do you hope to accomplish?
What is your timeframe?
> I have checked out the HBase trunk also.
>
>  Some additional info about ASF ICFOSS: The ASF-ICFOSS Programme [
> http://icfoss.org/mentor.html] was conducted by Luciano Resende [
> http://people.apache.org/~lresende] on June 21-23rd, 2013 and as part of
> the Programme, students are encouraged to take up an Apache JIRA as a
> project.
>

> On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 7:27 PM, Keith Turner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Some HBase guys were also looking into doing something w/ tracing.  I am
> > not sure what has been done, but it would be useful to look into that.  I
> > linked HBASE-6449 to the Accumulo ticket.
> >

> > On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 8:41 PM, Ajay Bhat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I had attended the ASF-ICFOSS workshop held in June.
> > > http://community.apache.org/mentoringprogramme-icfoss-pilot.html
> > >
> > > I'd like to take up this issue as a project.
> > > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ACCUMULO-1197
> > > Could someone in the community act as a mentor for this project? The
> > > process of selection is very similar to GSoC.
> > >
> > > I've checked out the source code and used Accumulo. I hope to have
> made a
> > > formal proposal by Saturday, July 13th. I'd be happy to get some advice
> > on
> > > how I could get started on it, and also any minor issues I could work
> on
> > in
> > > the interim.
> > >
> > > Regards,