Zookeeper >> mail # user >> ZooKeeper's resident set size grows but does not shrink

Re: ZooKeeper's resident set size grows but does not shrink
Although the amount of Java heap that ZK might be using may go down, the
JVM process will still hang on to the physical memory allocated for it and
if there is no external pressure from other processes Linux will not need
to swap it to disk, hence the RSS will remain roughly constant.

That is, the amount of 'real' memory used by a JVM doesn't tell you how
much of the JVM's heap is being used. If you believe that the heap usage by
ZK is too high, because GC is not finding enough free objects to return to
the heap, then that will cause a problem because if you ever do have memory
pressure then ZK will start swapping, which is bad.

In general, processes on Linux don't usually give memory back - they use as
much as they need concurrently, and then the operating system eventually
swaps out the unused pages if it needs to.

Can you paste the output of jmap -heap <zk-pid> into a reply? That will
allow us to see how much of the heap is really being used.

Thanks,
Henry

--
Henry Robinson