HBase >> mail # dev >> Thinking about 0.98

Re: Thinking about 0.98

I'm working on some API clean up currently which oddly will also affect the
HFile format.

Can you point to a jira?

> I'd also like to do some API culling and simplification -- where would this
go?

Since 0.98 is to come quickly after 0.96 and test our compatibility story,
we should take this case by case. My feeling is if after the changes a 0.96
client can still talk to a 0.98 server, and a mixed 0.96 and 0.98 server
environment is still possible, then it could go into 0.98 even if it breaks
Java binary compatibility for client applications, we're not at 1.0 yet.
Any objections?

Would 0.98 be branched off of trunk or 0.96 then?

I was thinking of branching 0.98 from trunk "soon" after 0.96 is released.

Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)