Hadoop >> mail # general >> [DISCUSS] Apache Hadoop 1.0?

+
Arun C Murthy 2011-11-14, 22:11
Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Hadoop 1.0?
To be specific, I think one of the possible could be sensible:

A. Rename as follows:

  0.20 -> 1.0
  0.21 -> 1.1
  0.22 -> 1.2
  0.23 -> 2.0
  0.24 -> 2.1

B. Just drop the leading zero, e.g., 0.23.0 becomes 23.0.

Doug

On 11/14/2011 02:11 PM, Arun C Murthy wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Apache Hadoop has come a long way since our humble beginnings. As a community we've made significant progress, even in 2011 - we've had 3 releases off the branch-0.20-security (0.20.205 being the latest) and we just released 0.23.0 last week, our first major release off trunk in a while.
>
> With hadoop-0.20.205 we finally have an Apache release with both security and HBase support, both critical for the growing ecosystem.
>
> With that, I think it's time to call it as hadoop-1.0. The 1.0 moniker has something we've wanted for a while and I think it's time for us to just ship it. Linus did something similar with GNU/Linux 3.0.
>
> Yes, we could add more features or better it along many dimensions (ala hadoop-0.23), but right now we have a pretty decent piece of software i.e.  the feature set in hadoop-0.20.205 is compelling and widely used. We could call hadoop-0.23 (or 0.22) as 2.0 etc. I do think we, as a community, can support compatibility in the hadoop-1.x series, which is the essential ingredient. This isn't a brand new idea, Doug suggested this a long while ago.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> thanks,
> Arun

+