HBase >> mail # user >> Collation order of items

Collation order of items
Is there any way to control introduce a different ordering scheme from
the base comparable bytes?  My use case is that I am using UTF-8 data
for my keys, and I would like to have scans use UTF-8 collation.

Could this be done by providing an alternate implementation of
WritableComparable<ImmutableBytesWritable>?

Thanks in advance!

--Tom