HBase >> mail # dev >> DISCUSSION: Component Lieutenants?

Re: DISCUSSION: Component Lieutenants?
On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 3:08 PM, Jonathan Hsieh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I do like the idea of multiple people "owning" an area to avoid
> politicking.

Yes, multi-owners if possible is the way to go.  A +1 by a multi-owner
or two +1s by non-multi-owners before a patch goes into a particular
component.

> For lookup purposes, instead of putting names under a
> component lead, we could just use the description field to list folk's name.
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE/component/12312140 (what you
> get when you click on the rest component link)
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE/component/12315702 (what you
> get when you click on the hbck component link)

Good one Jon.  I actually want to go ahead and do this now and move
over the ownerships we already have and add the ones that you and Lars
just volunteered for.

> To initially dole out components, we could do it the benevolent dictator
> way (stack's velvet glove initially assigns folks), and then folks in the
> component can add others.

Smile.  Or better would be folks volunteering (as fellas are doing
here already).  I can take care of updating JIRA.

>  I think one that that is
> important some sort of design info up so that we know how things are
> supposed to work.

I agree.

If it were in place, it'd make it easier rejecting patches that take
us away from the stated goal.  It'd also serve as a target for patches
to drive toward.

Who'd do the design or component tenets list?  Component owner's
ideally, when they get a moment.

St.Ack