Hive >> mail # user >> Cannot use explode with sub queries?

Cannot use explode with sub queries?
I can't seem to use explode with subqueries. This is what I'm trying:

select user, requestid
from (
  select user, requestid_list
  from logs where ...
) t lateral view explode(requestid_list) as requestid;

I tried a few similar variations but none of them seem to work. I
can't find any examples with explode and sub queries.

Thanks,
Vijay