Avro >> mail # user >> ReflectDatumReader and Writer classes

+
Peter Cameron 2012-07-05, 16:44
Re: ReflectDatumReader and Writer classes
On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 9:44 AM, Peter Cameron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> "This API is not recommended except as a stepping stone for systems that
> currently uses Java interfaces to define RPC protocols. For new RPC
> systems, the specific<http://avro.apache.org/docs/1.7.0/api/java/org/apache/avro/specific/package-summary.html>API is preferred. For systems that process dynamic data, the
> generic<http://avro.apache.org/docs/1.7.0/api/java/org/apache/avro/generic/package-summary.html>API is probably best."
>
> What I'm confused by is the assertion that the generic API is "probably
> best" for processing dynamic data.

I am still fairly new to Avro but I think what the warning in the docs is
trying to say is that the Specific API is better for static data, because
reflection is slower.  If you're representing data using a Java bean, then
your data is static (known at build time).

--mark
+
Peter Cameron 2012-07-05, 17:18
+