Hadoop >> mail # dev >> development environment for hadoop core

development environment for hadoop core
Hello -

I'm curious what Hadoop developers use for their day-to-day hacking on
Hadoop. I'm talking changes to the Hadoop libraries and daemons, and not
developing Map-Reduce jobs or using using the HDFS Client libraries to talk
to a filesystem from an application.

I've checked out Hadoop, made minor changes and built it with Maven, and
tracked down the resulting artifacts in a target/ directory that I could
deploy. Is this typically how a cloudera/hortonworks/mapr/etc dev works, or
are the IDEs more common?

I realize this sort of sounds like a dumb question, but I'm mostly curious
what I might be missing out on if I stay away from anything other than vim,
and not being entirely sure where maven might be caching jars that it uses
to build, and how careful I have to be to ensure that my changes wind up in
the right places without having to do a clean build every time.

Thanks!

-Erik
+
Todd Lipcon 2013-01-16, 01:44