Zookeeper >> mail # user >> Backups

+
Jordan Zimmerman 2012-01-13, 22:24
Camille Fournier 2012-01-13, 22:28
Jordan Zimmerman 2012-01-13, 22:29
Patrick Hunt 2012-01-17, 01:39
Jordan Zimmerman 2012-01-17, 01:42
Camille Fournier 2012-01-17, 01:49
Neha Narkhede 2012-01-17, 18:10
Jordan Zimmerman 2012-01-17, 19:06
Jordan Zimmerman 2012-01-18, 00:38
Flavio Junqueira 2012-01-19, 11:07
Jordan Zimmerman 2012-01-19, 17:32
Ted Dunning 2012-01-19, 18:11
+
Jordan Zimmerman 2012-01-19, 18:16
+
Ted Dunning 2012-01-19, 18:23
+
Patrick Hunt 2012-01-19, 18:24
+
Ted Dunning 2012-01-19, 19:40
Hi Ted, Znodes for leader election, group membership, etc, can all be
recreated, so why should I back them up instead of recreating the
znodes? In fact, one might bring back a previous snapshot of the
system that reflects an incorrect system state.

In the case that one stores data that can't be recovered by other
means, I understand the need, but then we have the durability problem
that I mentioned and you apparently agreed. Also, ZooKeeper is a
replicated service, so why can't you simply rely upon the replication
strategy that ZooKeeper provides to you already? Again, I'm trying to
understand the use cases here.

Thanks,
-Flavio

On Jan 19, 2012, at 7:11 PM, Ted Dunning wrote:

> A backup can still be useful.  It is a common property that a database
> backup is known to be slightly out of date.
>
> Such a backup can still be very useful.  In many systems, the most
> common
> cause of error is simple human intervention.  This especially
> applies to
> file systems and databases, but can still apply to ZK if an admin
> carelessly tries to clean up part of the namespace and accidentally
> cleans
> up all of it.  This should be much less common with ZK because manual
> adjustments are so much less a part of standard operation, but they
> can
> still occur.  In these cases, an out-of-date backup may be enormously
> valuable.
>
> If somebody wants a precise backup from a particular moment in time,
> the
> best option is to use the snapshot capabilities exposed by various
> file
> systems.  Traditional NAS vendors all support this.  At a lower cost
> and
> complexity point, you can get this from MapR clusters exposed as NFS
> or by
> a ZFS file system.  This option also allows you to keep multiple
> snapshots
> from points in the past.
>
> What Jordan is doing would allow backups without special storage
> devices
> and, with good backup of the log, would allow nearly current
> recovery in
> the event of catastrophic loss.  Yes, this loses some durability,
> but it is
> still very desirable.
>
> On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 11:07 AM, Flavio Junqueira <fpj@yahoo-
> inc.com>wrote:
>
>> Since you started this thread, I've been thinking about the idea of
>> backing up, and I'm not sure I understand the motivation and if it
>> is ok to
>> violate safety properties.
>>
>> Given that ZooKeeper is used for coordination, I would think that
>> in many
>> cases all its state can be reconstructed in an algorithmic manner.
>> Perhaps
>> the use case for a backup would be the one in which it is being
>> used as a
>> database, for example, to keep the metadata of a file system.
>> Periodic
>> backups or even keeping an observer, however, won't guarantee that
>> if you
>> bring the system up using that backup you'll have all committed
>> operations.
>> The state of the leader reflects all committed operations, but one
>> needs to
>> have the latest state of the transaction log to not miss an update.
>>
>> But, it is true that I'm assuming that you can't miss updates. If
>> you can
>> miss updates, then that's a different story. By missing updates
> [...]

flavio
junqueira

research scientist

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
direct +34 93-183-8828

phone (408) 349 3300    fax (408) 349 3301
+
Jordan Zimmerman 2012-01-19, 19:07
+
Flavio Junqueira 2012-01-19, 19:30