HBase >> mail # dev >> Re: DISCUSSION: Component Lieutenants?

Re: DISCUSSION: Component Lieutenants?
How do we think this 'component owner' project (or 'component guide' or
'component shepherd' or 'captain' *) [1] is going?  I see the definite
emergence of recognized domain experts consulted whenever a significant
patch touches their area (for example, Jimmy being consulted whenever
Assignment is touched, etc.).  This is good.  Lets have more of this
(smile).

We do seem to be accumulating a good backlog of patches in need of review.
 What do we think we can do about that?  If issues were assigned to a
component, would it be fair that component owners at least register the
submission perhaps prioritizing or even doing first a first pass on the
issue**?

St.Ack

P.S. Anyone can volunteer to take on a component -- just write me off list
and I'll update JIRA accordingly (as per [1]).

* I made note of this 'component owner' project of ours when I sent in our
last hbase report.  Two folks objected that 'owner' is exclusionary.
 Suggestions for alternate names welcome.  I'll update the doc,
http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#OWNER, accordingly.
** I think we need to do a better job assigning priorities to issues and
working on higher priority issues first.  Priority seems to mean little
going by what folks are working on, on cursory survey, so its tough getting
a sense of what is important just by looking at JIRA.

1. http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#OWNER