Hadoop >> mail # dev >> Private, LimitedPrivate and contrib modules

Re: Private, LimitedPrivate and contrib modules

Sorry for the late reply .. I missed in in my inbox.

On Sep 18, 2009, at 1:29 PM, Tom White wrote:

> I'm trying to better understand the meaning of the annotations defined
> in org.apache.hadoop.classification.InterfaceAudience.
>
> 1. Private is documented as being "Intended for use only within Hadoop
> itself". Does this mean the whole Hadoop project, or the subproject
> that the annotated element is in? (Or another scope?)

Private means private to the subproject (ie private to HDFS, to MR,
etc).
We should update the doc to clarify this.

> 2. Is a contrib module considered to be a part of the subproject? For
> example, if something is marked as LimitedPrivate in Common say, with
> intended audience MapReduce, can MapReduce contrib modules use it?

I believe the answer should be no.
> Or, assuming the second meaning for 1, if something is marked as
> Private in MapReduce, can MapReduce contrib modules use it?

Again I believe the answer should be no.

Any concrete examples that we can  use to examine/discuss this further