Home | About | Sematext search-lucene.com search-hadoop.com
NEW: Monitor These Apps!
elasticsearch, apache solr, apache hbase, hadoop, redis, casssandra, amazon cloudwatch, mysql, memcached, apache kafka, apache zookeeper, apache storm, ubuntu, centOS, red hat, debian, puppet labs, java, senseiDB
 Search Hadoop and all its subprojects:

Switch to Threaded View
Pig >> mail # user >> [DISCUSSION] Pig.next


Copy link to this message
-
RE: [DISCUSSION] Pig.next
I am not in agreement with that :)

________________________________
From: Dmitriy Ryaboy [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, March 02, 2011 6:57 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: Santhosh Srinivasan; Olga Natkovich
Subject: Re: [DISCUSSION] Pig.next

by way of crazy ideas -- I kind of feel like 0.8 + a few patches might be our 1.0, and 0.9 can be 1.1 branch.

D

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 6:44 PM, Santhosh Srinivasan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:
I am in agreement with Dmitriy. In addition, Hadoop itself has not gone 1.0 due to the lack of stable APIs. We should probably aim for 1.0 around the same time.

Santhosh

-----Original Message-----
From: Dmitriy Ryaboy [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>]
Sent: Wednesday, March 02, 2011 6:31 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: Olga Natkovich
Subject: Re: [DISCUSSION] Pig.next

I am worried that the new optimization plan work has not had a chance to settle in, and we are releasing a brand new parser for the language in 0.9.
Those are pretty significant changes, if the idea behind calling something a "1.0" is stability, we may want to give them a release to mature a bit. Of course we can just release 0.9x for a while until we feel this stuff has been tested in a wide enough variety of installations / hadoop configurations / use cases.

D

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 4:52 PM, Olga Natkovich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:

> Pig Users and Developers,
>
> We are starting to plan the work after Pig 0.9. One thing we need to
> decide is what name/number to give to the next release: Pig 0.10 or Pig 1.0.
>
> I believe that we are ready to declare 1.0. Here are my reasons:
>
> (1)     We are mature enough and produce good quality releases
> (2)     Our interface no longer change in major ways
> (3)     We have a growing user community and we want the newcomers to know
> that our releases are stable
> (4)     If the next release is 0.10 and we decide that we should switch on
> the following release going from 0.10 to 1.0 will generate a lot of
> confusion.
>
> I wanted to start this conversation and see what others think before
> deciding if it is worth while to call a vote.
>
> Olga
>

NEW: Monitor These Apps!
elasticsearch, apache solr, apache hbase, hadoop, redis, casssandra, amazon cloudwatch, mysql, memcached, apache kafka, apache zookeeper, apache storm, ubuntu, centOS, red hat, debian, puppet labs, java, senseiDB