HBase, mail # dev - DISCUSSION: Move to GIT?

DISCUSSION: Move to GIT?
Stack 2013-10-25, 16:45
At yesterday's dev meetup -- minutes to follow -- it was suggested we move
the project to git as our repo of truth.

What do folks think?  How patches are contributed and committer will have
to change to match git-flow.

Josh Eiser, an accumulo committer, was at the dev meetup yesterday and was
kind enough to write up the steps involved moving their project over.  See
the discussion on how they come up w/ a process in particular.

St.Ack

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Josh Elser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 12:25 AM
Subject: Accumulo's transition to git
To: Stack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Stack,

As promised, here's the info that I had collected when Accumulo made the
transition from SVN to Git.

Make sure you have some mailing list consensus, and then open up an INFRA
ticket. For us, we requested the following things

1. Specify which SVN branches you want in Git, and if you want them
renamed. Also, which you want the default Git branch to be on clone.

2. If you have any contribs, specify which other SVN path you want as their
own Git repos.

3. Specify the format of the subject for the git commit notifications email
and to which mailing list.

4. Request update of mirroring on git.a.o and github.com/apache/...

5. Transition from svn2jira to git2jira (honestly, I don't remember what
this was anymore.. maybe commenting on Jira for issue mentions in commits)

6. Request delivery of pull-requests to a given mailing list.

7. Request update reviewboard to the new repo.

Our INFRA ticket can be found at [1]

FWIW, we also had a huge discussion about how we were going to use Git so
that we didn't constantly duplicate a bunch of commits cherry-picking
changes everywhere. There was a bunch of teaching we had to do to make sure
we had a good commit history and could still use features like git-bisect.
The result of that is at [2].

Joe Stein also sent us Kafka's use of Git that was helpful when writing
down how users should contribute patches. [3]

I hope all this helps! Despite the pain we went through in getting this all
set up (dealing with coordination of INFRA to lock the SVN repos, transfer
to Git, verify accuracy, and people who then didn't know how to use Git), I
think everyone is happy we did it.

- Josh

[1] https://issues.apache.org/**jira/browse/INFRA-6392<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-6392>
[2] http://accumulo.apache.org/**git.html<http://accumulo.apache.org/git.html>