HBase, mail # dev - [DISCUSSION] Sorting out issues for 0.96 for (eventual) release

+
Andrew Purtell 2013-01-08, 17:51
+
Stack 2013-01-08, 18:21
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-01-08, 18:32
+
Ted Yu 2013-01-09, 03:56
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-01-09, 03:59
+
Ted Yu 2013-01-09, 04:00
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-01-09, 04:05
Re: [DISCUSSION] Sorting out issues for 0.96 for (eventual) release
Stack 2013-01-08, 18:55
On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 10:32 AM, Andrew Purtell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Some time has elapsed since that discussion, I think we should do it again.

Go for it Andrew.  Would suggest you tag it on to the tail of the old
discussion or at least reference the old in your setup.
> For example, the notion of running on JDK 7 is new, and depends on other
> communities because quite a bit seems broken on JDK 7 so I hear. The creep
> of "-Djava.net.preferIPv4=true" among Hadoop ecosystem projects is also a
> concern, and it bothers me that HDFS tests seem DOA without it on my dev
> box, so this also isn't something we are going to be able to solve entirely
> on our own. So while I think these are serious concerns, I have mixed
> feelings about them being prerequisites for a 0.96 release.

Agreed.

> A bunch of hard thoughtful intermingled work is underway in RPC and HFile
> and other places, so that we only need to do a "singularity" once. We
> should do a feature based release for this, not a time based one, is my
> opinion. As for everything else, setting a target and seeing what falls in
> or out based on that is worth doing.

You call it a 'feature release'.  I see it as we can't release until pb'ing
is done (and, pb'ing can't make hbase N times slower than it was previously
-- smile).

St.Ack
+
Devaraj Das 2013-02-06, 21:53