Zookeeper >> mail # user >> Dynamically Adding nodes to ZK Ensemble

Re: Dynamically Adding nodes to ZK Ensemble
You should start it as whatever you want it to be in the new configuration.
In this case participant.

In fact if you start it as observer but try to add it to the ensemble as
participant reconfig may actually fail in some cases because you need a
quorum of voters from the new config to complete state transfer however
observers can't vote.