HBase, mail # user - Expert suggestion needed to create table in Hbase - Banking

Re: Expert suggestion needed to create table in Hbase - Banking
Michael Segel 2012-11-26, 12:30
If the row Key is just the customer ID, then a simple MD5 hash or SHA-1 hash would suffice.
That would clear up any risk of hot spotting, once you do your initial load of data.

And that's probably a key point... hot spotting when you're first loading a very large table is really a moot point. It may be painful, but the pain lasts for less than an hour.