Kafka >> mail # user >> Broker ID

On 12/09/2011 12:48 PM, Jay Kreps wrote:
> Yes, I don't think they need to be sequential though we always assign them
> sequentially at LinkedIn.

At Clearspring we found it convenient to uses the last octet of the IP
since that was already unique per cluster (no clusters span multiple
subnets [1]).  We have on occasion confused ourselves by having
non-sequential ids, but it's probably best that those bugs were squashed
sooner rather than latter.

[1] And yes, this will be a nifty problem when a cluster no longer fits
on a single subnet ;-)