Avro, mail # user - Apache Avro Encoding types and when to use binary encoding?

Apache Avro Encoding types and when to use binary encoding?
Raihan Jamal 2013-09-17, 07:45
Hello,

I have recently started using Apache Avro and I am having some doubts on
that. I was reading the article on the internet and I found out that-

*There are two ways to encode data when serializing with Avro: binary or
JSON.*

So I was thinking when we should use JSON and when we should use Binary?
And what are the advantages/disadvantages for this? And which one is mainly
preferable to use in production environment.

Our use case is pretty simple. We need to store the data in Cassandra for a
given user id. Suppose the column name is `e1`, then I will be storing
column `e` value into Cassandra for specific user id.

Any help will be appreciated on this.. Thanks
*Raihan Jamal*