MapReduce >> mail # user >> Re: Will HDFS refer to the memory of NameNode & DataNode or is it a separate machine

Re: Will HDFS refer to the memory of NameNode & DataNode or is it a separate machine
A few basic questions:

Will HDFS refer to the memory of NameNode & DataNode or is it a separate machine.
For NameNode, DataNode and others there is a process associated with each of em.
But no process is for HDFS, wondering why? I understand that fsImage has the meta data of the HDFS, so when NameNode or DataNode or JobTracker/TT needs to get file info will they just look into the fsImage.

When we put a file in HDFS is it possible to look/find in which node (NN/DN) it physically sits.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Sai