HBase >> mail # dev >> Question about HBase Delete

RE: Question about HBase Delete
HBase (and BigTable) use delete markers (or tombstones).  As you say, once written, all data is immutable.

These markers look very similar to normal Put operations but the HBase server logic processes them in a special way and when we see delete markers we will appropriate mask (not return or make visible) data which has been deleted.

See the Delete class for the specific delete APIs supported.

As Ted says, during compactions, this deleted data (masked by the delete markers) will be permanently deleted and not included in the new compacted file.

Check out the BigTable paper for more information.

JG