HBase >> mail # dev >> Amazon s3 and Hadoop/Hbase

Re: Amazon s3 and Hadoop/Hbase
Aditya,

S3 is a file storage service. It does provide versioning and key based file
access, but it does not provide any processing paradigm, like Map Reduce
for Hadoop. HBase provides random access to data - its more like a database
in that you can have a key based access for records, and it is a columnar
store. S3 can be compared with HDFS, the hadoop distributed file system,
and in fact one can spin Hadoop clusters off S3 file system.

Maybe if you explain your problem in detail, we can help you further on the
mailing list. You can also read up the fundamentals on the Hadoop and HBase
wiki, there is a high level introduction which can clear the basic doubts.

Hope that helps.

Best Regards,
Sonal

<http://in.linkedin.com/in/sonalgoyal>