Pig >> mail # dev >> [VOTE] Release Pig 0.9.0 (candidate 0)

+
Olga Natkovich 2011-06-23, 00:56
+
Dmitriy Ryaboy 2011-06-23, 04:11
+
Alan Gates 2011-06-23, 14:47
+
Dmitriy Ryaboy 2011-06-23, 17:14
RE: [VOTE] Release Pig 0.9.0 (candidate 0)
My experience with sample command is that people use it for some quick testing and debugging not for production problems. This issue has been there since the initial introduction of sample. I still don't see a strong need to hold the beta release for it.

Olga

-----Original Message-----
From: Dmitriy Ryaboy [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, June 23, 2011 10:14 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [VOTE] Release Pig 0.9.0 (candidate 0)

There is a workaround - turning off optimizations, or at least pushUpFilter. I haven't checked 8 with the new logical plan disabled, that may work too.
If this failed execution, I'd let it pass since there is a workaround, but as is it silently returns incorrect data, with no way for an analyst to know her statistics are now fundamentally wrong. Silent and subtle data corruption is just about the wrist big we can have.
I can't really block the release, you guys can outvote me. But I'd rather you didn't; we can patch this problem today.

On Jun 23, 2011, at 7:47 AM, Alan Gates <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Are you referring to PIG-2137?  I have a few of questions on that before I vote for this release candidate or to reroll.
>
> Is this a new issue introduced in 0.9?
>
> Is there a workaround for this?
>
> We have already discussed that 0.9.0 will be beta quality, and a follow up release will be needed as users find bugs.  As sample is not a heavily used feature I am inclined to view this bug as ok.  You feel this is serious enough to block a beta release?
>
> Alan.
>
> On Jun 22, 2011, at 9:11 PM, Dmitriy Ryaboy wrote:
>
>> -1
>>
>> I discovered a critical bug in how SAMPLE is treated; I don't think we
>> should release until it's fixed (Thejas is testing the fix).

>> On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 5:56 PM, Olga Natkovich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>> I have created a candidate build for Pig 0.9.0 release. This release
>>> introduces control structures, changes query parser, and performs semantic
>>> cleanup.
>>>
>>> The rat report showed no issues in Java files outside of build directory.
>>>

>>> Keys used to sign the release are available at
>>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/pig/trunk/KEYS?view=markup.
>>>

>>> Please try it out:
>>>

>>> http://people.apache.org/~olga/pig-0.9.0-candidate-0/
>>>

>>> Build is also available in maven:
>>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachepig-042/org/apache/pig/pig/0.9.0/
>>>

>>> Should we release this? Vote closes on Monday, June 27.
>>>

>>> Olga

+
Richa Khandelwal 2011-06-23, 22:04
+