Hive, mail # user - Books and good starting point for Hive

+
William Kang 2013-02-24, 16:43
Re: Books and good starting point for Hive
John Omernik 2013-02-24, 16:57
Hello William - Dean Wampler posts quit often on this list and has done (to
my eye) a great job of separating his business (he and other authors have
written a Hive book)  from the community aspect of (he participates freely
on the list without a lot of self promotion).

Therefore, I will give him some unself (is that a word?) promotion for his
book.  Dean, and others have written a Hive book published by O'Reilly (I
included a link to it on Amazon)

A few thoughts. Prior to getting the book, I had used Hive from a
standpoint of a strong SQL background and no big data experience for about
a year. Much of what Hive is and can do was abstracted away from me, and I
just wrote queries. After getting the Programming Hive book I truly
understood Hive AND I also understod Hadoop better. I had purchased the
Hadoop O'Reilly book when I started my new position, but found Hadoop to be
pretty beyond me (at the time).  Since then, experience and the O'Reilly
Hive book have been awesome for me understanding what makes Hive great.
 Give it a shout. I have no financial interest, and Dean and the Other
Authors don't know me at all, this is just a freely given thought on the
book.

http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Hive-Edward-Capriolo/dp/1449319335/

\\\

On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 10:43 AM, William Kang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> Hi All,
> I just get started with Hive.
>
> I already installed Hive and finished a few examples.
>
> Would you please give me some suggestions on a few good books or
> tutorials for me to continue?
>
> Many thanks.
>

> William

+