HBase >> mail # user >> HMaster daemon is not starting up

Re: HMaster daemon is not starting up
On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 6:11 PM, Bharat Shetty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> Yeah, error is related to HDFS.
>
> I'm using HBase 0.96.0 with Hadoop 2.1.0-beta.
>
> On more further digging, it appears that the /tmp directory on the master
> node had some problems. Zookeeper for deployment is being managed
> internally by the HBase, appears to store data in /tmp directory
> (/tmp/hbase-iouser/zookeeper/). Since this region of the filesystem was
> unstable owing filesystem problems in the /tmp folder of the master node,
> zookeeper communication btw Master and slaves failed and as such HMaster
> seems to have shut down. I was able to get up the master running on other
> node with same configurations used previously.
>
> There was no changes to the lib directory of the HBase during deployment.
> The setup was working fine and I was able to run map-reduce programs for
> importing, exporting and filtering on millions of records in HBase prior to
> HMaster failure.
>
> In a production level scenario, which is ideal ? Zookeeper managed
> ourselves as opposed to zookeeper managed internally by the HBase ?
>
> Also, are there any documentation or links anywhere for production level
> configurations for HBase running on top of the HDFS (Hadoop) ?

See the first section in the refguide, the quickstart section:
http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#quickstart  The first thing it tells you
do is edit hbase-site.xml and change where zk is writing its data.  "By
default, hbase.rootdir is set to /tmp/hbase-${user.name} and similarly so
for the default ZooKeeper data location which means you'll lose all your
data whenever your server reboots unless you change it (Most operating
systems clear /tmp on restart)."

St.Ack