Hadoop, mail # user - Using hadoop for analytics

+
pgaurav 2012-09-05, 08:42
+
Bejoy Ks 2012-09-05, 08:57
+
Nitin Pawar 2012-09-05, 08:53
Re: Using hadoop for analytics
Bertrand Dechoux 2012-09-05, 08:57
Hi,

It would depend on the data volume mainly. Hadoop can be used to refine the
data before inserting into a traditional architecture (like a database).

If you want to write jobs, several solutions have emerged :
* plain Mapred/Mapreduce APIs (former is older than the latter but both are
plain default java APIs)
* use python or other languages with Hadoop streaming
* Cascading/Crunch... provides a more high level java APIs (and you have
scalding/cascalog as scala/clojure 'wrapper')
* pig / hive if you want a specific high level language  (hive ql is
sql-ish)
* and then you have commercial products too...

So it depends really on what you want to use it for and what competencies
you (your team, your company) has.

Regards

Bertrand