Hadoop >> mail # user >> Reverse Indexing Programming Help

Re: Reverse Indexing Programming Help
It would help to get a good book.  There are several.

For your program, there are several things that will trip you up:

a) lots of little files is going to be slow.  You want input that is >100MB
per file if you want speed.

b) That file format is a bit cheesy since it is hard to tell URL's from text
if you concatenate lots of files.  Better to use a format like protobufs or
Avro or even sequence files to separate the key and the data unambiguously.

c) I suspect that what you are asking for is to run a mapper so that each
invocation of map gets the URL as key and the text as data.  That map
invocation can then tokenize the data and emit records with the URL as key
and each word as data.  That isn't much use since the reducer will get the
URL and all the words that were emitted for that URL.  If each URL appears
exactly once, then the input already had that.  Perhaps you mean to emit the
word as key and URL as data.  Then the reducer will see the word as key and
an iterator over all the URLs that mentioned the word.