HBase >> mail # user >> Simple but Reliable configuration for pseudo distributed mode on ubuntu

+
Stephen Boesch 2013-05-22, 19:33
+
Stephen Boesch 2013-05-22, 19:46
+
Stack 2013-05-22, 21:12
+
Stephen Boesch 2013-05-22, 21:45
+
Stack 2013-05-22, 22:59
Re: Simple but Reliable configuration for pseudo distributed mode on ubuntu
How could we improve the doc Stephen?  Was the problem that it was only in
the quick start section?  Thanks.
St.Ack
On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 12:46 PM, Stephen Boesch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> OK found the issue, it was the old ubuntu localhost anomaly of  127.0.1.1
> vs 127.0.0.1   Changing /etc/hosts to use the latter fixed the issue
>
> Here is the quick start reference to it
>
> http://hbase.apache.org/book/quickstart.html
> Loopback IP
>
> HBase expects the loopback IP address to be 127.0.0.1. Ubuntu and some
> other distributions, for example, will default to 127.0.1.1 and this will
> cause problems for you.
>
> /etc/hosts should look something like this:
>
>             127.0.0.1 localhost
>             127.0.0.1 ubuntu.ubuntu-domain ub
>

> 2013/5/22 Stephen Boesch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>

> > I have not been able to bring up a simple standalone hbase pseuo
> > distributed mode cluster on a single ubuntu 12.x machine.  A couple of
> > co-workers that have been using hbase for years also looked at it and we
> > have not been able to resolve.
> >
> > Before I jump in to the details, i'll just say : "hey is there a pointer
> > to a well known configuration that just works?"  I don't have any special
> > requirements beyond the following:
> >        ubuntu 12.x
> >        single machine pseudo distributed
> >        preference for hbase 0.92.2 but not a showstopper for newer
> versions
> >        apache (not cdh, etc) hadoop 1.X (version not important to me
> > beyond that)
> >

> > Some more details on the setup:
> >
> >    using hadoop 1.0.3 .  HDFS and map/reduce been working fine for months
> >    hbase 0.92.2
> >    zookeeper: have tried both hbase manages zk=true as well as false (and
> > with zk 3.3.6)
> >    hdfs: using localhost:8020
> >    Launching hbase with start-hbase.sh
> >          master comes up
> >          regiion server comes up
> >          region server shows as "region in transition" and never
> > completes/never starts serving regions
> >          Appears that master does not register properly with ZK - though
> > there *is * a new  /hbase/master node in zookeeper , it oes not have any
> > entries.

+
Jay Vyas 2013-05-22, 19:51