HDFS >> mail # user >> Re: Is FileSystem thread-safe?

Re: Is FileSystem thread-safe?
Hi John,

DistributedFileSystem is intended to be thread-safe, true to its name.

Metadata operations are handled by the NameNode server which synchronizes
concurrent client requests via locks (you can look at the FSNameSystem
class).

Some discussion on the thread-safety aspects of HDFS:
http://storageconference.org/2010/Papers/MSST/Shvachko.pdf

-Arpit