Hadoop >> mail # user >> hp sl servers with hadoop?

+
Koert Kuipers 2011-08-24, 14:42
Re: hp sl servers with hadoop?

On Aug 24, 2011, at 7:42 AM, Koert Kuipers wrote:

> Does anyone have any experience using HP Proliant SL hardware for hadoop?

Yes.  We've got ~600 of them.
> We
> are currently using DL 160 and DL 180 servers, and the SL hardware seems to
> fit the bill for our new servers in many ways. However the shared power on
> chassis is not something i am fully comfortable with yet.

The biggest problems that our hardware team report are:

a) lack of hot swappable drives means a lot of manual work to replace bad disks
b) the cabling is on the front, which is pretty much opposite of how the rest of our gear works

Our people do tend to bring down both nodes when working on them.  But I think that's more of a safety precaution than a requirement.  But those events are relatively short lived so usually not a big deal WRT block replication.