HBase >> mail # user >> understanding the client code

Re: understanding the client code
The way thrift and avro fits in here is ...

Thrift Client (your code) -> (thrift on the wire) -> Thrift Server
(provided by HBase) -> (uses HTable) -> HBase Cluster.

Same with Avro.

So - use HTable if you want to interact with the cluster using a Java
API ... use the others if you want non-Java clients to access HBase.