HBase >> mail # user >> Never ending major compaction?

+
Jean-Marc Spaggiari 2013-01-01, 19:42
+
Ted 2013-01-01, 21:08
Re: Never ending major compaction?
Yes, I'm running on 0.94.3. The last major compaction ran yesterday.
It's almost daily. That's why I was surprise it took so long. I mean,
I'm only compacting regions who moved. So it should be pretty quick.
But was not the case. It took about 6h to complete. Strange. Maybe
something went wrong when I stopped/started hbase.

also, there was almost no activity on the network nor on the CPUs. I
will have to add disks monitoring on Ganglia to see if I was limited
by IOs...

I looked at the regions logs and everything was fine. It was showing
some compaction information every few seconds.

JM

2013/1/1, Ted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> You're on hbase 0.94.3 , right ?
>
> When was the last time major compaction ran ?
>
> Compaction is region server activity so you should be able to find some clue
> in region server log.
>
> Cheers
>
> On Jan 1, 2013, at 11:42 AM, Jean-Marc Spaggiari <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a table, with about 200 000 raws, keys is string[64] (ish) and
>> value is string[512].
>>
>> It's splitted over 16 regions located on 7 regionservers.
>>
>> So it's not a big table, and there is a lot of horsepower behind it.
>>
>> I asked a major_compaction few hours ago. Let's say, about 5 hours
>> ago. and it's still compacting! But all servers activities seems to be
>> null. CPU usage is almost 0.
>>
>> There is nothing on the master logs.
>>
>> How can I see what's going on? Is there a way to see the compaction
>> queue?
>>
>> JM

+
Ted Yu 2013-01-02, 06:07