HBase >> mail # user >> client cache for all region server information?

Re: client cache for all region server information?
Hi Lin,

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 7:56 PM, Lin Ma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Harsh, thanks for the detailed information.
>
> Two more comments,
>
> 1. I want to confirm my understanding is correct. At the beginning client
> cache has nothing, when it issue request for a table, if the region server
> location is not known, it will request from root META region to get region
> server information step by step, then cache the region server information.
> If cache already contain the requested region information, it will use
> directly from cache. In this way, cache grows when cache miss for requested
> region information;

You have it correct now. Region locations are cached only if they are
not available. And they are cached on need-basis, not all at once.

> 2. "far outweighs the other items it caches (scan results, etc.)", you mean
> GET API of HBase cache results? Sorry I am not aware of this feature before.
> How the results are cached, and whether we can control it (supposing a
> client is doing random read pattern, we do not want to cache information
> since each read may be unique row-key access)? Appreciate if you could point
> me to some more detailed information.

Am speaking of Scanner value caching, not Gets exactly. See more about
Scanner (client) caching at
http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#perf.hbase.client.caching

--
Harsh J