HBase, mail # user - Questions about Columns and Families

Re: Questions about Columns and Families
Andrey Stepachev 2010-08-17, 05:16
2010/8/16 Samuru Jackson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Hi,
>
> I have two question regarding the usage of columns within a family:
>
> 1. Is there any limitation about the number of columns inside a column
> family associated to a row (i.e. maximum number of columns)?

Wide family can have poor scalability, because table splits on key ranges.
If you will have very wide family it will live on 1 region server and
doesnt' slit.
Another drawback - if you you want to take some range of values
hbase will scan whole row, in opposite to keys. With compound keys
you can use scan to get range of values.

Only in trunk. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-1537