HBase >> mail # user >> delete rows from hbase

+
Oleg Ruchovets 2012-06-18, 22:08
+
Jean-Daniel Cryans 2012-06-18, 22:18
+
Oleg Ruchovets 2012-06-18, 23:13
+
Jean-Daniel Cryans 2012-06-18, 23:18
+
Amitanand Aiyer 2012-06-18, 23:36
+
shashwat shriparv 2012-06-19, 07:43
+
Mohammad Tariq 2012-06-19, 10:46
+
Kevin Odell 2012-06-19, 13:26
+
Oleg Ruchovets 2012-06-19, 16:17
+
Anoop Sam John 2012-06-20, 08:38
+
Michael Segel 2012-06-20, 11:41
+
Oleg Ruchovets 2012-06-20, 11:56
Re: delete rows from hbase
Hi,

Ok...

Just a couple of nits...

1) Please don't write your Mapper and Reducer classes as inner classes.
I don't know who started this ... maybe its easier as example code. But It really makes it harder to learn M/R code.  (Also harder to teach, but that's another story... ;-)

2) Looking at your code I saw this...
> public static class MyMapper extends
> TableMapper<ImmutableBytesWritable, Delete> {
and
> context.write(row, new Delete(row.get()));

Ok... while this code works, I have to ask why?

Wouldn't it be simpler to do the following.... [Note this code is an example... written from memory...]

Add a class variable HTable delTab...

Inside MyMapper add the following:

@Override setup(Mapper.Context context)
{
delTab = new HTable(context.getConfiguration(), "DELETE TABLE NAME GOES HERE");
}

Then in your TableMapper.map()

> @Override
>        public void map(ImmutableBytesWritable row, Result value, Context
> context) throws IOException, InterruptedException {
>            context.getCounter("amobee",
> "DeleteRowByCriteria.RowCounter").increment(1);
>            delTab.delete(new Delete(row);  <=== This row changed to use the reference to the table where we want to delete rows.
>        }

Not much difference except that you're not using the context.
You can test the solution.

Its a bit more general because you could be selecting rows from one table and using that data deleting from another.

In terms of speed. Its relative.

If you want to batch the rows, you could. Then you'd want to put in a local counter and every 100 rows pass in a batch delete.

While I suspect there isn't much difference in using the Context.write and just issuing a HTable.delete(),  it makes it more generic such that you can use the same code to delete from a single table or different tables.
HTH

-Mike