Hadoop, mail # general - [DISCUSS] Move common, hdfs, mapreduce contrib components to apache-extras.org or elsewhere

Re: [DISCUSS] Move common, hdfs, mapreduce contrib components to apache-extras.org or elsewhere
Mattmann, Chris A 2011-02-10, 03:37
Hi Nigel,

My 2 cents -- why is Hadoop re-creating its own mini-Attic? The point of the umbrella project shakedown over the past year at Apache is to stop projects from recreating things like the Incubator (and the Attic) inside of the project.

One suggestion: for your [VOTE] thread that you are calling -- if the result is to attic the project -- move it to the "real" Apache Attic, via a board resolution (you could do a single board resolution from the Hadoop PMC to the Apache Board containing the set of projects to Attic).

Cheers,
Chris

On Feb 9, 2011, at 9:11 AM, Nigel Daley wrote:

> After considering the feedback, I will move forward with calling a separate vote for each contrib (or small groups of contribs). The vote will ask the PMC to abandon the given contrib or move it to core.  For those we agree to abandon, I will setup an Attic wiki that will point to the last SVN revision of the contrib.  I will also start a Related Projects wiki (if we don't already have one) with pointers to the contrib modules that folks have volunteered to keep developing elsewhere.
>
> Cheers,
> Nige
>
> On Jan 30, 2011, at 7:42 PM, Nigel Daley wrote:
>
>> Folks,
>>
>> Now that http://apache-extras.org is launched (https://blogs.apache.org/foundation/entry/the_apache_software_foundation_launches) I'd like to start a discussion on moving contrib components out of common, mapreduce, and hdfs.
>>
>> These contrib components complicate the builds, cause test failures that nobody seems to care about, have releases that are tied to Hadoop's long release cycles, etc.  Most folks I've talked with agree that these contrib components would be better served by being pulled out of Hadoop and hosted elsewhere. The new apache-extras code hosting site seems like a natural *default* location for migrating these contrib projects.  Perhaps some should graduate from contrib to src (ie from contrib to core of the project they're included in).  If folks agree, we'll need to come up with a mapping of contrib component to it's final destination and file a jira.
>>
>> Here are the contrib components by project (hopefully I didn't miss any).
>>
>> Common Contrib:
>> failmon
>> hod
>> test