HDFS, mail # dev - How to run HDFS from source?

How to run HDFS from source?
André Oriani 2011-06-07, 18:56
Hi,
I have clone the repo for hadoop-common and hadoop-hdfs and built it using
"ant mvn-install" . Now I would like to be able run HDFS in
pseudo-distributed mode  to test some modifications of mine. One year ago I
could do it but now  I had no luck. The scripts are failing, complaining
about not found files and stuff.

Has anyone succeed recently in doing something similar to what I am
intending to do . Or do I need to generate a tarball and install it ?
Thanks and Regards,
André