Hadoop >> mail # general >> [VOTE] Release hadoop-0.22.0-rc0

Re: [VOTE] Release hadoop-0.22.0-rc0
This is a well tested state of the branch, which imo worth releasing.
Adding changes at this point will invalidate the testing.
0.23 has "substantial regressions from the stable line" as well, and
is not stable.
1.0 does not have important features including some in MR that 0.22 has.
What is a regression!

0.22 is progress in at least one area, which is HDFS.
People can actually start appending data to files, use links, and
build features (e.g. HA) based on BackupNode.
HBase clusters should not be segregated anymore as HBase-only ones,
but will allow general load as well.

Speaking of confusing. What isn't in Hadoop this days. Say, when you
transition from Hadoop 1.0 to 0.22 or 0.23 you call it upgrade.

Seriously. This project needs to move forward beyond the 0.20 line. I
tested 0.22 in the last three months and found it working with HBase,
Hive, Pig, Cascading, Zookeeper, Oozie. What else do you need to
release? It is not perfect? Agreed. Have anybody seen a perfect piece
of software? I haven't.

Eric, thank you for raising the question. It is important to
understand the pros and cons of different versions.
You should try the candidate, who knows it might just work for you.

--Konstantin