Hadoop, mail # general - [VOTE] Abandon hod Common contrib

Re: [VOTE] Abandon hod Common contrib
Owen O'Malley 2011-02-12, 05:15

On Feb 11, 2011, at 6:17 PM, Nigel Daley wrote:

>> a) I don't think hod is actually part of any unit tests, so
>> including it would likely only be a burden on the tarball size.
>
> Not true.  HOD has python unit tests and is the reason our builds
> have dependencies on python.

But Allen's point is that I don't recall ever seeing HOD test failures
causing the build to fail.

>> b) The edu community uses this quite extensively, evidenced by the
>> topic coming up on the mailing lists at least once every two months
>> or so and has for years.  Can't say that about the other contrib
>> modules other than the schedulers and streaming.
>
> Then they are using old version of Hadoop.  AFAICT HOD does not work
> with 0.20 or beyond.

Out of curiosity, what goes wrong? Clearly nothing major has changed
in starting up a mapreduce cluster in a very long time.

>> c) The community that does use it has even submitted a patch that
>> we've ignored.
>
> Which means the committers of this project gave up on it long ago.

There are also some patches on core Hadoop that have been sitting for
a long time, so I don't think that is a valid inference.

I would love to hear some of the people who are using HOD speak up and
give us their feedback.

-- Owen