Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-29, 02:33
Alejandro Abdelnur 2012-08-29, 03:50
Arun C Murthy 2012-08-29, 16:31
Tom White 2012-08-29, 17:30
Eric Baldeschwieler 2012-08-29, 17:42
Suresh Srinivas 2012-08-29, 17:02
Alejandro Abdelnur 2012-08-29, 17:13
Suresh Srinivas 2012-08-29, 17:26
Konstantin Boudnik 2012-08-29, 18:41
Arun C Murthy 2012-08-29, 17:04
Arun C Murthy 2012-08-29, 18:22
Eli Collins 2012-08-29, 18:49
Tom White 2012-08-29, 20:34
Alejandro Abdelnur 2012-08-29, 20:40
+
Todd Lipcon 2012-08-29, 21:18
+
Andrew Purtell 2012-08-30, 13:46
+
Sharad Agarwal 2012-08-30, 06:41
+
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-29, 23:29
On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 7:29 PM, Mattmann, Chris A (388J)
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> You're right, it's not project boundaries, it's poor community behavior,
> and general umbrella-project-ness.

The primary problem I see with umbrellas is that the PMC isn't able to
accurately represent the developer community.  Hadoop used to have
that problem, when HBase, etc. were subprojects and most PMC members
were not involved in those subprojects.  Currently this is less of a
problem.  Many PMC members are involved in several different parts of
the project and most PMC members follow all the developer mailing
lists.  Hadoop at present thus has some semblance to an umbrella but
is by no means a classic umbrella.

> One aspect I've seen is that exclusivity of allowing people to become
> PMC members on the project, and the separation of PMC from C.
> Other things I've seen are the use of technical justifications or complexity
> issues as an excuse for the exclusivity, as an excuse for drawing boundaries
> between project committers and PMC members, and then between specific
> products that the project and community as a whole releases, and finally
> other things I've seen include external interests influencing the way that
> business is done around here (need for releases in downstream companies,
> or projects driving upstream, Apache decisions, which are supposed to be
> independent of any lone company, or set of companies -- it's individuals here
> that do the work).

I am unconvinced that splitting Hadoop into three projects is a
panacea for these issues.  For example, adding committers to the
sub-lists has been contentious even among the members of those
sublists.

Splitting is perhaps a better long-term structure for the project.
But it should be done slowly and carefully.  Moving too quickly could
cause a lot of extra work for a lot of people, both in the project and
downstream.  A series of incremental steps should prove less painful.
For example, the YARN developers might propose that they fork to a new
TLP.  The YARN code code could then be removed from the mother
project's trunk but remain in branches for compatible bugfix releases.
 Downstream projects could start adding a dependency on the YARN
project once it makes releases.

Doug
+
Todd Lipcon 2012-08-29, 23:44
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2012-08-30, 02:59
+
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-29, 23:54
+
Konstantin Shvachko 2012-08-30, 10:12
+
Andrew Purtell 2012-08-30, 14:11
+
Aaron T. Myers 2012-08-30, 14:23
+
Brock Noland 2012-08-30, 14:43
+
Devaraj Das 2012-08-31, 01:28
+
Andrew Purtell 2012-08-31, 06:02
+
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-31, 06:15
+
Andrew Purtell 2012-08-31, 06:42
+
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-31, 06:50
+
Todd Lipcon 2012-08-31, 16:59
+
Alejandro Abdelnur 2012-08-31, 17:10
+
Jagane Sundar 2012-08-31, 17:24
+
Alejandro Abdelnur 2012-08-31, 17:11
+
Andrew Purtell 2012-08-31, 07:55
+
Robert Evans 2012-08-31, 14:34
+
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-31, 15:09
+
Doug Cutting 2012-08-31, 16:00
+
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-31, 16:08
+
Eric Baldeschwieler 2012-09-01, 00:23
+
Sharad Agarwal 2012-09-01, 09:59
+
Mahadev Konar 2012-08-31, 15:05
+
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-31, 06:36
+
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-30, 13:51
+
Arun C Murthy 2012-08-30, 10:25
+
Arun C Murthy 2012-08-30, 11:00
+
Todd Lipcon 2012-08-30, 00:16
+
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-30, 00:55
+
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-29, 23:34
+
Jakob Homan 2012-08-29, 21:22
+
Travis Thompson 2012-08-29, 22:30
+
Steve Loughran 2012-08-31, 11:54
+
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-29, 14:14
+
Robert Evans 2012-08-29, 15:17
+
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-29, 17:22
+
Eric Baldeschwieler 2012-08-29, 03:45
+
Michael Segel 2012-08-29, 17:26
+
Arun C Murthy 2012-08-29, 18:48
+
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-29, 23:20
+
Eli Collins 2012-08-30, 05:46
+
Arun C Murthy 2012-08-30, 06:31
+
Eli Collins 2012-08-30, 07:02
+
Alejandro Abdelnur 2012-08-30, 07:11
+
Arun C Murthy 2012-08-30, 12:29
+
Todd Lipcon 2012-08-29, 23:35
+
Aaron T. Myers 2012-08-29, 23:53
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2012-08-29, 23:47
+
Todd Lipcon 2012-08-29, 23:48
+
Arun C Murthy 2012-08-30, 01:52
+
Inder.dev Java 2012-08-30, 16:33
+
Doug Cutting 2012-08-30, 17:00
+
Owen OMalley 2012-08-30, 18:25
+
Inder.dev Java 2012-08-31, 19:00
+
Doug Cutting 2012-08-31, 20:44
+
Eric Baldeschwieler 2012-08-31, 22:43
+
Eli Collins 2012-08-29, 18:41
+
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-29, 23:19
+
Eli Collins 2012-08-30, 05:38
+
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-30, 06:06
+
Eli Collins 2012-08-30, 06:18
+
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-30, 06:31
+
Eli Collins 2012-08-30, 07:17
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2012-08-29, 23:27
+
Mattmann, Chris A 2012-08-29, 23:32
+
Arun C Murthy 2012-08-30, 01:47
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2012-08-29, 23:40
+
Jun Ping Du 2012-08-29, 18:35
+
Chris Douglas 2012-08-31, 01:24
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2012-08-31, 03:35
+
Roman Shaposhnik 2012-08-31, 15:59
+
Andrew Purtell 2012-09-01, 13:21