Accumulo >> mail # dev >> Setting Charset in getBytes() call.

+
David Medinets 2012-10-28, 21:50
+
Ed Kohlwey 2012-10-28, 22:18
+
William Slacum 2012-10-29, 15:39
+
David Medinets 2012-10-29, 16:00
+
Josh Elser 2012-10-29, 16:21
+
Benson Margulies 2012-10-29, 16:24
+
John Vines 2012-10-29, 16:42
+
Josh Elser 2012-10-29, 16:57
+
David Medinets 2012-10-29, 17:00
+
William Slacum 2012-10-29, 17:13
+
Mike Drob 2012-10-29, 17:16
+
Michael Flester 2012-10-29, 19:14
+
John Vines 2012-10-29, 19:18
+
Benson Margulies 2012-10-29, 20:02
+
David Medinets 2012-10-29, 20:29
+
Michael Flester 2012-10-30, 00:27
Re: Setting Charset in getBytes() call.
+1 Mike.

1. It would be hard for me to believe Key/Value are ever handled
internally in terms of Strings, but, if such a case does exist, it would
be extremely prudent to fix.

2. FWIW, the Shell does use ISO-8859-1 as its charset which is
referenced by other commands [1,2]. It would be good to double check all
of the other commands.

[1]
https://github.com/apache/accumulo/blob/trunk/core/src/main/java/org/apache/accumulo/core/util/shell/Shell.java
[2]
https://github.com/apache/accumulo/blob/trunk/core/src/main/java/org/apache/accumulo/core/util/shell/commands/InsertCommand.java

On 10/29/2012 8:27 PM, Michael Flester wrote:
> I agree with Benson entirely with one caveat. It seems to me that there
> might be two categories of things being discussed
>
>    1. User data (keys and values)
>    2. Ancillary things needed for operation of Accumulo (passwords).
>
> These could well be considered separately. Trying to do anything with
> keys and values other than treating them as bytes all of the time
> I find quite scary.
>
> And if this is only being done to satisfy pmd or findbugs, those tools
> can be convinced to modify their reporting about this issue.

+
Benson Margulies 2012-10-30, 00:54
+
Josh Elser 2012-10-30, 01:57