MapReduce >> mail # user >> Good learning resources for 0.23?

+
Keith Wiley 2012-05-23, 22:18
Re: Good learning resources for 0.23?
Keith,

 Happy to help.

 When you mean .23 API, do you mean how to write your own applications on top of YARN?

 If so, you can start with hadoop-2 release docs:
 http://hadoop.apache.org/common/docs/r2.0.0-alpha/hadoop-yarn/hadoop-yarn-site/WritingYarnApplications.html

 There is also an example application (DistributedShell) you can look at for a simpler usage of YARN apis:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/hadoop/common/branches/branch-2/hadoop-mapreduce-project/hadoop-yarn/hadoop-yarn-applications/hadoop-yarn-applications-distributedshell/src/main/java/org/apache/hadoop/yarn/applications/distributedshell/

 As you are probably aware, MapReduce applications itself don't need to change when you move to using hadoop-2.

thanks,
Arun

On May 23, 2012, at 3:18 PM, Keith Wiley wrote:

> I have already preordered the third edition of Tom's book (obviously, I don't have it yet since it won't be published until the end of the month), but aside from that, I'm looking for good resources for learning how to program to the .23 API.  I have found several websites and articles that discuss the philosophical differences between .20 and .23 but I'm looking for teaching/learning resources for getting into the guts and actually programming the thing.  I'm pretty competent at .20 so I'm not looking for starter-level hadoop stuff.  Rather, I'm looking for transitional resources to learn the specifics of the new design.
>
> Any ideas?  How are people vetted on the older versions of hadoop learning the way of the YARN?
>
> Thanks.

> Keith Wiley     [EMAIL PROTECTED]     keithwiley.com    music.keithwiley.com
>
> "And what if we picked the wrong religion?  Every week, we're just making God
> madder and madder!"
>                                           --  Homer Simpson

Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.