HDFS >> mail # user >> M/R job to a cluster?

M/R job to a cluster?

I suspect that my MapReduce job is being run locally. I don't have any
evidence but I am not sure how the specifics of my configuration are
communicated to the Java code that I write. Based on the text that I
have read online basically I start with code like:

JobClient client = new JobClient();
JobConf conf - new JobConf(WordCount.class);
. . . . .

Where do I communicate the configuration information so that the M/R job
runs on the cluster and not locally? Or is the configuration location
"magically determined"?

Thank you.