HBase >> mail # user >> Where to place logs

+
Varun Sharma 2012-12-24, 17:27
+
Stack 2012-12-26, 21:13
Re: Where to place logs
Thanks for the tip. I was just wondering what people have done in the past
- do people typically reserve a separate disk for logging activity ?

Thanks
Varun

On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 1:13 PM, Stack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 24, 2012 at 9:27 AM, Varun Sharma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am wondering where people usually place hbase + hadoop logs. I have 4
> > disks and 1 very tiny disk with barely 500 megs (thats the typical setup
> on
> > amazon ec2). The 4 disks shall be used for hbase data. Since 500M is too
> > small, should I place logs on one of the 4 disks. Could it potentially
> > steal IOP(s) from hbase ? Does anyone have an idea how much of an
> overhead
> > logging really is ?
> >

> Looks like you have no choice but to put your logging on a data disk.
>  Logging can be expensive, yes.  It should be easy enough to measure in
> your setup.  You can disable all logging for a short period while the
> cluster is under load; do it on a single node even (you can do this from
> the UI).  See how your io changes when logging is off.
>
> St.Ack

+
Leonid Fedotov 2012-12-28, 17:22